Deutsche Welle ‘s yearly contest is open again to bloggers writing in fourteen different languages and multiple categories. The contest – Best of Online Activism  – aims to promote freedom of expression and to uphold human rights on the Internet and around the world. The winners will be presented with their prizes at the Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum  in June.
Deadline: 5 February 2014
- Best Blog – looking for blogs doing an exemplary job of promoting and protecting human rights as well as initiating and fostering open discussion of topics that are of social and public importance.
- Best Innovation – software solutions, applications or Internet platforms that dedicate themselves to providing the technology that enables people to improve society and democratic social integration.
- Best Social Activism – looking for blogs that make exemplary use of social media, networks and other forms of digital communication to bolster democracy, freedom and human rights.
- Reporters Without Borders Award – blogs that take a strong stance for freedom of information and expression around the world. It also honors bloggers who dare to spread information under daunting circumstances.
- Global Media Forum Award- sites that examine how interconnectedness, interactivity and participation influence and spur on the democratic process.
- Most Creative and Original – sites that take a creative and entertaining approach to serious topics. The focus here is on the innovative and surprising way socially relevant topics are handled and presented. Special attention will also be given to the visual and artistic presentation.
There are also Language-specific categories looking for the best websites in each of the 14 languages accepted (see list below). They say: “Special attention will be given to sites that initiate discussions and provide top-quality analysis and commentary on current events. There are no limits on the types of sites allowed in the language-specific categories.” Entries may consist of blogs, websites, microblogs, videos and podcasts.