26 May 2008
1. Hold a Discussion on:
– What do you understand by fashion?
– Is fashion innate or is it something in which we follow others?
– Is it to do only with models/film stars, or do you think every human being can have a sense of fashion?
– Community sense of fashion- bandwallah, coolie—this kind of fashion helps us understand who they are
– Rahul’s keeping long hair—was it anything to do with his life journeys at the moment? Eg. Playing in a band? Writing poetry?
- Fashion as expressive of self, character
- Fashion as it has evolved over the years eg In the movie Om shanti Om, the use of tight chooridars, men’s flared trousers, sideburns etc to evoke a bygone age.
2. List the different kinds of people in bowbazaar—
Medical persons (doctor, nurse, ayah)
Street food sellers
From the above, choose 3 categories—
– What are their stereotypical images?
– What are they in reality?
Research people whose dress sense you find is very much expressive of their selves, be it raditional or modern, but very distinctive/eye catching. It may be staid or very whacky or very aesthetically pleasing.