We intend to promote the use of the Internet by the deaf community in Plateau state Nigeria.I intend to host a regular radio show for a 1 month period that will encourage the deafs to use ICT & inform them of immediate benefits and opportunities available online. There will also be a special 4 days ICT training and computer donation for 10 deaf institutions.I also intend to have a public page on Facebook that will forever be dedicated to providing relevant information about deafness and encouraging others to learn sign language to help bridge communication gap between the hearing.
What locality or neighborhood will your project focus on?
Describe the specific population with whom you will be working.
I am working with the Disabilities Right Commission in Plateau state
Nigeria. We are presently sourcing for funds to train and donate
computers to about 102 deaf, blind and physically disabled persons in
Plateau state. The deafs in Plateau state do not have any representation
online. No one remembers them, the attention of the government is
completely on HIV/AIDS. I want to work with the Disabilities Rights
Commission and the deaf community because I know ASL (American Sign
Language) and I personally have trained about 900 hearing persons on ICT
sponsored by the government and zero deaf. Deaf persons in Plateau
state generally do not use the internet.
Who else will be on your team to help implement the project?
The Plateau State Disabilities Right Commission.
What kinds of news, stories and other content will be created?
1. Increased use of Internet by the deafs.
2. Direct Empowerment through donation of computers to Deafs.
3. Increased social network participation by deafs in Plateau state.
What technologies and digital tools do you plan to use in the trainings?
Describe the connections that you or your organization have already established or plan to establish that will contribute to the success of the project.
1. Cryptic Concepts and Perceptions (CC&P) Nigeria limited has Trained over 900 persons on the use of Internet.
2. We are already collaborating with the Plateau state government on an on-going project to empower 102 Physically disabled persons in plateau state Nigeria.
3. Presently I use American sign language to teach deafs.
How many participants do you think will be trained in your project?
We are projecting a radio program that will encourage all hearing individuals in Plateau state to learn sign language and the Joys of signing. However we intend to directly Train selected deafs from 10 deaf institutions from Plateau state. We will donate 10 computer systems to participating instituitions.
Describe which technologies, tools, and media you will focus on when training participants.
1. I am a skilled Human resource trainer with more than adequate experience.
2. My team has a wealth of experience in training deaf persons.
3. We intend to use Social media and Radio talk shows to increase general awareness as to the needs of the deafs.
4. Over 80 percent of youths in Plateau state use Social networks and those who are not always online often listen to radio programs hence this is the most appropriate technology for this project.
Describe the facilities where you will hold the workshops.
We use a 3 room office space with 16 computers and projector.
What is your current relationship with the community with whom you plan to work? What makes you the most appropriate individual or organization to implement this project?
We have a most cordial relationship with the deaf community in Plateau state and are presently working with the Plateau state Disabilities Rights commission hence we are the most appropriate organization to implement this project. We have also trained hundreds of individuals in the past.
What specific challenges do you expect to face when planning and implementing your project?
1. Inadequate capital to procure computers for the deaf hence we will donate to other instituitions that train deafs to ensure maximum results.
2. High cost of air-time for radio shows: to overcome this we will also partner with a government radio house as they will offer the lowest price.
How will you measure and evaluate the project’s impact, specifically: your primary participants, the wider regional community, or the global digital community?
The following are what we will consider success:
1. High Radio listeners participation during the radio program.
2. Successful conclusion of the Training program.
3. Successful procurement and donation of computers to participants and Institutions.
4. More private / public collaborations on similar projects.
5. 1000 Facebook group membership within 6 months of creation.
If your project were to be selected as a Rising Voices grantee, what would be the general timeline of project activities in 2014?
First 2 months – Radio show begins.
Next 1 month – Training of participants and donation of computers.
Next 6 months – Facebook and twitter participation.
Detail a specific budget of up to $2,500 USD for operating costs.
1) Procurement of 10 desktop computers and softwares for donation (24,000) : 240,000 Naira ($1500)
2) Radio airtime, Flyers and Posters: 100,000 Naira ($625)
3) Internet cost for online activities and social networking: 30,000 Naira ($187)
Besides the microgrant funding, what other support can Rising Voices provide for your project to ensure its success?
1) We need Rising Voices to Regularly post information and comments on our facebook and twitter page, encouraging more follower-ship.
2) Refer us to other international organizations who support deaf education.
Mr. Michael Jacob
Cryptic Concepts and Perceptions Nigeria Limited (CC&P)